About Me

My photo
Texas, United States

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Why Do I Love Cooking!?!?

Today's time in the kitchen was "one of those days". It seems like lately when I do cook or bake - I can't get it right!!

I had a tasty new recipe to try out this morning for breakfast:

Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches

Ingredients
8 ounces turkey breakfast sausage, removed from casing and crumbled into small pieces
1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
1/4 cup sliced scallions
1/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
5 eggs
3 egg whites
1 cup 1% milk

Preparation

1.Position rack in center of oven; preheat to 325°F. Coat a nonstick muffin tin generously with cooking spray (see Tip).
2.Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook until golden brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a bowl to cool. Add oil to the pan. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer mushrooms to the bowl with the sausage. Let cool for 5 minutes. Stir in scallions, cheese and pepper.
3.Whisk eggs, egg whites and milk in a medium bowl. Divide the egg mixture evenly among the prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle a heaping tablespoon of the sausage mixture into each cup.
4.Bake until the tops are just beginning to brown, 25 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Place a rack on top of the pan, flip it over and turn the quiches out onto the rack. Turn upright and let cool completely.

1 dozen mini quiches

Active Time: 30 minutes

Total Time: 1 hour


This recipe is so versatile - use it for a basic quiche recipe and change to your liking!! I'm thinking next time I make it I'm going to add pico de gallo to it!! I'm also going to double it and use for breakfast during the week!! I did use Owen's sausage because I couldn't find turkey breakfast sausage at our grocery store (nor the scallions so I used some yellow onion) and I also used a small amount of cheddar cheese instead of Swiss because I'm supposed to stay away from "white" cheeses.


Don't be fooled by the name like I was!! Given the picture that I saw and the name of the recipe - I was thinking mini - as in mini muffin pan - not as in mini - smaller than a pie plate!! I had all the ingredients ready and started putting the egg mixture into my mini-muffin pan!! Obviously, I had more egg stuff left after I had all the cups filled. I went back and looked at the recipe and it states "1 dozen mini quiches". DUH #1 for the morning!! So I attempted to pour the eggs from the mini muffin pan to the regular muffin pan. You can just imagine the mess THAT made!?!? As my dozen quiches were baking - I was attempting to clean up my mess. I put my eggshells - yes, you guessed it - in the garbage disposal (as my conversation that I had w/ Laura about NOT putting eggshells into the disposal came to mind). I didn't realize until after I turned it on that there were orange peelings in there! Hmmmm, I thought, this doesn't sound right. I cut it off. Turned it back on and (DUH #2) after a few seconds - water was splattering on my feet!! Needless to say, Robert had a dirty deed to do first thing in the morning. (Sorry honey!!)

SIDE NOTE: As I read thru the above typed recipe, checking to see if everything was right - I realized that I forgot the milk!! See what I mean about "not getting it right"!?! Thankfully, it tasted fine w/o the milk!!

The next attempt at cooking today (gluten-free cake because I'm supposed to stay away from glutens also):

Flourless Honey-Almond Cake

Ingredients

Cake
1 1/2 cups whole almonds, toasted
4 large eggs, at room temperature, separated
1/2 cup honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

Topping

2 tablespoons honey
1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted

Preparation
1.Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-inch springform pan with cooking spray. Line the bottom with parchment paper and spray the paper.
2.Process whole almonds in a food processor or blender until finely ground (you will have about 13/4 cups ground). Beat 4 egg yolks, 1/2 cup honey, vanilla, baking soda and salt in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer (or use a paddle attachment on a stand mixer) on medium speed until well combined. Add the ground almonds and beat on low until combined.
3.Beat 4 egg whites in another large bowl with the electric mixer (use clean beaters on a hand-held mixer or the whisk attachment on a stand mixer) on medium speed until very foamy, white and doubled in volume, but not stiff enough to hold peaks, 1 to 2 minutes (depending on the type of mixer). Using a rubber spatula, gently fold the egg whites into the nut mixture until just combined. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan.
4.Bake the cake until golden brown and a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean, about 28 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Run a knife around the edge of the pan and gently remove the side ring. Let cool completely.
5.If desired, remove the cake from the pan bottom by gently sliding a large, wide spatula between the cake and the parchment paper. Carefully transfer the cake to plate.

Store the cooled cake airtight at room temperature for up to 1 day. Drizzle with honey and sprinkle with almonds just before serving.






Long story short - I separated my eggs - throwing away the yolks.!! Using the last 4 eggs that I had so I had to go to the grocery store for more eggs!! But - I DIDN'T PUT THE SHELLS IN THE DISPOSAL!!

Why do I "love" cooking?? Because - even after these above mentioned trials and tribulations - the dishes usually turn out fine and my guys enjoy them!!


Both of these recipes were taken from eatingwell.com - check it out!!

No comments:

Post a Comment