About Me

My photo
Texas, United States

Monday, November 16, 2009

Not My Grandmother Klimek's Cookies

This is so totally embarrassing to admit - but I'm actually hoping that there are more people out there that have the same problem and that it's really not that uncommon - to not have very many memories of your past. Well, if I'd be even more honest w/ myself - even my short-term memory is lacking!! I'm trying not to get overly stressed about that problem - tho I know it's of great concern to my husband!! He really thinks I've totally lost it!! I won't tell him that I think I have too!! LOL Anyway, that's all besides the point of today's blog - other than wanting to share a memory that I do have: My maternal grandmother's molasses cookies!! They were so awesome!! I have been (im)patiently awaiting for someone of the Klimek family to forward a copy of her recipe. They were so scrumptious!! there are very few memories that I have concerning her - she passed in the 73 (I think) and my grandfather passed in the May before the September that I was born. I do vaguely remember Christmases at Granny K's w/ all of the Klimek cousins. I do remember her wonderful fried chicken and mashed potatoes! I the really cool plants that grew along the side walk up to her house that had colorful tiny "peppers" on them!! But being the fan of cooking/baking I am - I remember the molasses cookies. I won't be able to share that recipe today but I do have one to share. These are Soft Molasses Cookies. Granny's were the kind that were "hard". I will keep searching and hopefully I'll be able to share it w/ ya'll! They would be a wonderful addition to the Thanksgiving table!!

Soft Molasses Cookies

1 c sugar
3/4 c sour cream
1/2 c stick butter, softened
1/2 c shortening
1/2 c molasses
1 large egg
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp salt

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Mix sugar, sour cream, margarine, shortening, molasses and egg in large bowl until smooth. Stir in remaining ingredients. Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls about 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 9 to 11 minutes or until almost no indention remains when touched in center. Cool slightly; remove from cookie sheet. Sprinkle w/ sugar while cookies are still warm. Cool on wire rack.

ENJOY!! They are more cake-like instead of the firm, chewy ones that my grandmother made but are still OH-SO-GOOD!!

No comments:

Post a Comment