About Me

My photo
Texas, United States

Thursday, April 15, 2010

MUST TRY Chicken Dish

I'm really hoping that ya'll are thankful for me when I try out (and post when they're good) these slightly different dishes!! Ones that you see and think, I'd like to try that but...... The following one is really great!! Seeing that Robert liked it and it contained 2 (yes, two) of his least favorite ingredients: chicken and broccoli (yes, the 2 main ones and I made it anyway~what a gamble I took, but it payed off!!) Not to mention Nolan procrastinated a bit but then applied one of our "rules" passed down from my dad~"try it, you might like it". He tried it and liked it!!! Here it goes:


Braised Chicken Thighs with Broccoli & Olives

Ingredients
16 large cloves garlic, unpeeled
1 bunch broccoli, (1 1/4 pounds) , trimmed into florets
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 1/2 pounds bone-in chicken thighs, skin and fat removed
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
4 sprigs fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
1 teaspoon cornstarch or arrowroot
1 tablespoon water
8 black olives, pitted
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

Preparation
1.Place garlic cloves in a small saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Cook for 5 minutes. Drain, slip off skins. Set aside.

2.Bring 1 inch of water to a boil in a medium saucepan fitted with a steamer basket. Steam broccoli until tender-crisp, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from the steamer. Set aside. (Alternatively, microwave broccoli with 1/4 cup water, covered, on High for 3 to 5 minutes. Drain.)

3.Combine flour, salt and pepper in a shallow dish. Dredge chicken in the flour mixture, shaking off excess.

4.Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, turning, until browned on all sides, 4 to 5 minutes total. Transfer the chicken to a plate.

5.Pour wine into the pan and bring to a boil, stirring to scrape up any browned bits. Boil for several minutes until reduced to 1/4 cup. Add broth, thyme and the reserved garlic cloves; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and add the reserved chicken. Cover and simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes. With a slotted spoon or tongs, transfer the chicken and garlic to a platter and keep warm.

6.Dissolve cornstarch (or arrowroot) in water in a small bowl. Stir into the pan and simmer, stirring, for 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until slightly thickened. Add the reserved broccoli and heat through. Add olives and lemon juice. Spoon the broccoli sauce over the chicken and garlic. Garnish with parsley.


I did make a few minor changes:

I used boneless, skinless chicken thighs only because that's what I bought thinking that's what the recipe called for~silly me!!!! Therefore, I only simmered it for 10-12 minutes.

I did not dredge the chicken in flour. It was hard for me not to (LOL) but I need to stay away from glutens. (Don't tisk at my cornstarch comment coming up!!)

I used chicken broth instead of the wine only because I didn't have any wine on hand and I've read that using the "cooking wine" that you buy at the grocery store near the vinegars has alot of added sugars.

I did use the cornstarch - shame on me - but will try it w/o it next time. I'm positive that the flavor will be just as good - tho I just couldn't resist it this time!!

This recipe is definitely a must try!!! Try it and please post a comment to let me know what ya think!!! I apologize for not posting a picture but it was gone before I had the thought to take one!!


bon appétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment